In the process of using the Magento platform, in order to keep your system stable and secure, you have to upgrade your website system.
Since the time Magento 2 was launching at the end of 2015, a lot of users want to switch from their current store to Magento 2 to take full of advantages.
If you are planning on upgrading from Magento 1 to the new Magento 2 version, absolutely you need to continue reading this post to get a more detailed view of the upgrade.
1. Before Upgrade to Magento 2
To avoid unintentional problems, before upgrading to a later version, it is highly recommended to make a backup of your website so that you can restore it when something goes wrong during the upgrade process.
Besides, before upgrading you should also turn off the cache of the web at: System > Cache Manager.
There are 4 different components needed for Magento 2 upgrade, include: Database, Themes, Extensions and Custom code.
Then let’s get started with the basic upgrade:
First thing you can care about “Magento 1 to Magento 2 upgrading is about database”. I describe the specific steps involved in this below:
- Perform a mysqldump of your current magento database and import that dump into a dev database
- Navigate in your browser to /fresh/
- You should be redirected to the installer at /fresh/downloader
- Fill out the relevant information
- At step 3, enter the database information for the development db copy you created in step 1
- Click “Continue”
- Wait until your upgrade process is complete. It will take you from a few minutes to several hours.
- Change the base URLs for testing.
3. Upgrade themes
Magento 2 provides abundant themes as well as the latest technologies to help store owner the ability to deliver advanced shopping experience for their customer via their online store.
It is impossible to upgrade your Magento 1 themes to Magento 2 directly. If you don’t have deep – knowledge about technology, you’ll have to consider performing any one of the followings steps:
- First, you need to find a UI designer (frontend designer) or developer to create a unique and new theme for Magento 2. Besides, here you have to consider making the theme responsive.
- In the next step, you need to go to the Magento MarketPlace and install a Magento theme from that.
4. Upgrade extensions
The following step you have to do is to switch the extensions of Magento 1 to Magento 2. On the other hand, please be sure to move relevant extensions to Magento 2 only.
Keep in mind that sometimes some extensions of Magento 1 maybe not work with Magento 2. Because you might have problem in compatibility when trying to integrate some extensions of Magento 1 version to the new version release.
5. Custom code
Of course, the custom code used in your current Magento 1 store is compatible with Magento 2.
Some cases you need to modify or move the code, you should hire a technical staff to help you customize the code because of that difficult task.
Upgrading Magento 1 to Magento 2 is clearly not an easy task, especially if you have no technical knowledge.