The Magento version is one of the most important factors that every Magento webmaster must know. Each version has its pros & cons that can directly affect the load speed, security, and conversion rate of the website. However, before installing the upgrade to the latest version, store owners must know their own Magento site version first. This article will introduce to you 4 simple ways to check Magento version and the latest one of Magento as well. Besides, it provides a detailed guideline of how to download and upgrade your site version in both Magento 1 and Magento 2.
4 simple ways to check Magento version
1. Checking in Admin Dashboard
You can easily determine your current Magento version by following 2 steps:
- Log into your Magento Admin Backend.
- Scroll to the bottom of the page in the Magento Admin Footer. The version number can be found in the center of the footer.
check Magento version by admin dashboard
If your admin theme has been reformed and you don’t see “Magento ver.” in the footer, go to Magento Connect Manager in one of the following ways:
- Visit: https://www.example.com/downloader/
- Or https://www.example.com/magento/downloader/
- Or: System > Magento Connect > Magento Connect Manager
Look for “Mage_All_Latest” In the “Package Name” column and the number X.X.X.X (stable) is the version of your Magento.
2. Checking Magento version with online tools
Here are 3 fastest and simplest online tools that can show your Magento version in seconds just by typing the URL of your webstore.
3. Checking with Google Chrome browser
You can download a Chrome extension: Version Check for Magento extension. It helps determine which Magento version is running on the site and indicate if the version is outdated.
4. Add /magento_version
This is actually not a service but a trick for you to quickly check the Magento 2 version website. Everything you need to do is to add /magento_version after your domain URL and go searching. This will give you a short answer of the Magento version and edition run on your website.
What is the latest version of Magento
- Magento 1 Community Edition 220.127.116.11
- Magento 1 Enterprise Edition 18.104.22.168
- Magento 2 Open Source (Formerly Community Edition) 2.2.0
- Magento 2 Commerce (Formerly Enterprise Edition) 2.2.0
How to update Magento versions
So let’s dig into the upgrade procedure of Magento 2 by following these simple steps:
- Step 1 -> First of all, connect to your web server via SSH. Using putty or any SSH client, log in to your Magento 2 server with full file system ownership.
- Step 2 -> Once your SSH connection is established, you will need to navigate to your Magento 2 ROOT directory.
- Step 3 -> Now follow the order and use the following commands:
composer require magento/product-community-edition 2.1.3 –no-update
2.2.0 is the latest version of Magento 2.1.x version. If you want to upgrade Magento 2.0.x version, change these numbers accordingly.
If an authentication prompted, enter your magento.repo authentication keys.
rm -rf var/di/* var/generation/* var/cache/* var/log/* var/page_cache/*
php bin/magento cache:clean
php bin/magento cache:flush
In case, if you are using cache storage other than Magento 2 filesystem (e.g. Varnish, Redis, Memcached, etc.), you will need to manually clear that cache too.
php bin/magento setup:upgrade
php bin/magento setup:di:compile
php bin/magento indexer:reindex
- Step 4 -> Now go to your Magento 2 Admin Panel and at the bottom right corner, verify that you have successfully updated your Magento 2 version. If any error displays, try resetting your file permissions and clear the cache again.
How to migration data from Magento to Magento
There are some Magento extension providers who providing Magento Migration Extension like LitExtension, Migrashop,…. You can download it to migration data from your current Magento to latest version
Visit our website for more information CartMigration